Office for Victims of Crime - Justice for Victims. Justice for All
Justice for Victims. Justice for All
Facebook     Twitter     You TubeEventsDirectoryE-Mail Updates

FAQ: Question & Answer

What can I do if I am a victim of stalking?
If you are a victim of stalking, call your local police department's emergency number (911) to report any incidents.

If you feel you need protection, and you have not done so already, you should consider filing for a protective order, which you can request through civil proceedings. Additionally, if appropriate, you may be able to obtain a no-contact order through the criminal case involving the defendant who threatened you.

A "protective," "no-contact," or "stay-away" order is a legal protection that a court issues against the offender to restrict the offender’s contact and interactions with you. If the offender continues to harass or threaten you, this behavior may be punishable by law. Under the Federal Violence Against Women Act, jurisdictions must give full faith and credit to valid protective orders issued by other jurisdictions. Full faith and credit is a legal term that means jurisdictions must honor and enforce orders issued by courts in other jurisdictions. This can enable you to call on law enforcement officers and the courts to enforce orders of protection across state lines.

If your local police department employs a victim advocate, they may be able to help you develop a safety plan. You may also contact a local victim service provider. If you need help locating a victim service provider in your area, call the VictimConnect toll free helpline at 855–484–2846.

The Stalking Prevention, Awareness, and Resource Center also provides information and resources on the What to Do if You Are Being Stalked section of their site.

Last Updated: 5/13/2019

Another FAQ Search     Back to Previous Page

EventsDirectoryE-Mail Updates
Facebook     Twitter     You TubeEventsDirectoryE-Mail Updates