Help Victims Heal
- I won't be a victim forever. I will always remember, but ultimately, I'll move on
. . . soothed by the fact that my soul is strong and my spirit unbreakable.1
Sexual violence poses significant challenges to victims' physical, emotional, spiritual, and sexual well-being. A number of factors have an impact on victims' healing, including2
- The facts surrounding the sexual assault.
- Victims' abilities to cope with emotionally challenging situations.
- Stressful events preceding sexual assaults.
- Support systems already in place.
This section reviews methods used to ease recovery (e.g., encouraging victims to take control, creating a directory of referral resources), address victims' specific concerns (e.g., safety, health care), and recognize signs of recovery.