Providing Culturally Congruent Care
To address the range of diversity in communities, you need the skills to18
- Identify service delivery systems or models that are appropriate to specific populations and make appropriate referrals.
- Establish responses that are attuned to victims' cultural or bicultural experiences.
- Generate a wide variety of verbal and nonverbal communication skills in response to the direct and indirect communication styles of diverse clients.
- Master interviewing techniques that reflect an understanding of the role of language in victims' cultures.
- Effectively use victims' natural support systems (e.g., folk healers, religious and spiritual leaders, families).
- Evaluate the response to victims from diverse populations.