Hold Team Meetings . Monitor and Evaluate Your Efforts . Sustain Your SART . Know Your Team . Critical Issues
One of the things I am most proud of about my work as a sex crimes prosecutor is that I allowed victims to make a decision at each step through the criminal courts rather than require a huge "do-you-want-to-prosecute" decision at the outset.72
Essentially, prosecutors are obligated to protect the innocent as well as to convict the guilty, to guard the rights of the accused as well as to enforce the rights of the public.73
- Provide legal guidance to local law enforcement agencies concerning sufficiency of evidence, warrants, and similar matters relating to investigation of criminal cases.
- Evaluate cases submitted by law enforcement to determine if there is sufficient evidence for prosecution.
- Recommend bail amounts and conditions of release.
- Recommend pretrial release options to judges.
- Interview victims and witnesses to determine the facts.
- Disclose to the defense all evidence or information known to the prosecutor that tends to negate the guilt of the accused or mitigates the offense.
- Negotiate plea agreements, when appropriate.
- Represent the state during trials, sentencing, and post-sentencing proceedings.
This section reviews