Hold Team Meetings . Monitor and Evaluate Your Efforts . Sustain Your SART . Know Your Team . Critical Issues
SART Code of Ethics
In This Toolkit: Case Scenarios on Ethics
The dignity and healing of victims depends on the respect and assistance extended to them by professionals. To establish a victim-centered response, you should understand the codes of ethics governing advocates and medical and legal responders and work to develop a standard of ethical principles for the team itself. Use the following list as a catalyst for customizing SART standards when responding to victims or working with team members and allied professionals:6
- SART Ethical Principles for Responding to Victims
- Maintain proficiency in the delivery of services through continuing education.
- Provide accessible services to victims, including services that are culturally sensitive.
- Report any conflict of interest that prevents delivering competent services to victims.
- Respect and protect victims' rights.
- Respect privacy and confidentiality.
- SART Ethical Principles for Working With Colleagues, Other Professionals, and the Public
- Respect others.
- Seek appropriate methods for addressing conflict with colleagues that will model constructive conflict resolution.
- Help those who are new to the field to promote consistent quality in the response to sexual violence.
- Promote crime and violence prevention.