Hold Team Meetings . Monitor and Evaluate Your Efforts . Sustain Your SART . Know Your Team . Critical Issues
Decide on Core Membership
Sexual Assault Forensic Examiners
Sexual assault forensic examiners are health care providers who receive specialized training in how to conduct sexual assault medical forensic examinations and fulfill clinical requirements to be certified as a sexual assault medical forensic examiner.
On a SART, sexual assault forensic examiners
- Serve as liaison with the medical community.
- Provide the team with current information from medical literature pertinent to sexual assault.
- Assist in case reviews.
- Educate the team on the elements and procedures of sexual assault forensic exams.
- Educate the team on medical issues including sexually transmitted infections, HIV prophylaxis, and emergency contraception.
- Educate the team on how to improve coordination with hospitals, health care professionals, and medical schools.
- Help implement initiatives aimed at teaching the community how to prevent sexual assault.